Friday, November 14, 2008

Beggars

I hope I am not alone in this: I feel really bad when I pass beggars on the street, and I don't really know what to do. There are a number of different strategies - the Distant Stare, the Friendly Nod and the Lost-In-Though Expression. No matter what I do, I feel like a jerk anyway.

Of course, this means they are good at their job.

Nevertheless, I do think that many if not most of them could use some help. They are people whose aspirations for happiness most likely do not include humiliating themselves on the street.

I believe just tossing them some coins is not really help, and besides the gift would always be better given to Medecins Sans Frontiers in my point of view. The beggars are stuck in their situation, and need to get out of it (if they are willing to, that is). I also assume that for many, some basic human love and affection is in short supply.

Stopping and taking a real interest when time permits might be the Right Thing. I do not know of anyone who has done this, though (except the Salvation Army, and this is kind of their job). Am I a victim of the Mother Theresa bug when I keep pondering this?

No comments: